My first learning outcome from EDCI 339 was knowing the difference between open and distributed learning. After understanding the differences, I was able to speculate and apply the terms to what they mean. For example, I know that our Mattermost group chat, Brightspaces, and Ryan’s website is considered distributed learning. This is because not everyone has access to  these websites. On the other hand, Open learning is public and anyone with Wi-Fi connection has access to. To elaborate on this learning outcome, my Pod Project members and I discussed pros and cons within distributed and open learning. The discussion helped me understand the terms and I was able to apply it to our persona. We created an international student who was unable to live in Victoria due to Covid-19. We examined how distributed learning was ideal for her learning situation. Moreover, we talked about how she was able to have an online environment with Zoom, Blackboard, Mattermost and other learning management systems via introducing each other or commenting on others’ work (Vaughan et. al., 2013, p. 28). Overall, creating the persona with my pod members helped me reach this learning outcome of distributed learning and open learning.

Moreover, I did not understand MOOC from doing the reading. I decided to write about the timing of classes instead (Link below).

I was a bit confused by Major’s (2015) article. I did not understand the difference between MOOC, open, and distributed learning. Luckily, some of my pod members did understand. After reading https://emilytrelford.opened.ca/topic-2-discussion/ I was able to understand more about MOOC. Then, I was able to apply my learning and elaborate on Emily’s post and Kiana’s comment.

From these comments, I realized that the difference between distributed learning and MOOC is the money and credits. MOOC may have the same information as distributed learning, but since it is free, the learner does not receive credits.

In addition, I was informed about the alarming of “inappropriate” material (Gillard & Culik, 2019), which shows that teachers and professors can watch what students are doing on the computer. 

This was the biggest learning outcome for me. I was shocked when I read this article.

I was curious to see what my pod members thought about it.      

Sites like Mattermost and Brightspace do not give much privacy to students. In EDCI 338, our professor asked us not to use other communication methods within our groups. This is because he wanted to see who was engaging and communicating with in the group. Both EDCI classes have privacy concerns as the professor is in the chat. I was happy that Gillard and Culik (2019) article was engaging and allowed me to think about similar concerns. 

In regards to learning management systems, Brightspaces is useful for students and teachers. I discussed in my first blog (link below) that learning management systems should benefit students and teachers equally. However, the information that is shown on Brightspaces about student logins, replies, posts and more eliminates the teacher going through our work. In one of my previous classes, I received %100 for my discussion and participation. Now, I am uncertain if my posts were good or if it was just a check mark for completing the task. This feature benefits the professor but not the students. 

The last topic was a bit confusing for me. It was harder for me to elaborate with the material. Luckily, my pod members brought up topics to discuss which helped me understand better. Here is my showcase blog to elaborate more on this topic.

Overall, EDCI 339 has allowed me to learn, and teach using OER-enabled pedagogy. I have learned benefits to distributed learning, open learning, and overall learning resources. My pod members helped me understand the material and readings to a deeper level. I can use this information and apply it to my future teaching career. I will use learning management in order to help the students who are unable to attend class. Moreover, all the class material will be on one website, so it is easy to find. This gives students the opportunity to engage in material, take their time, and learn from outside the classroom. I elaborated more about how I will use this class material in my future career in my showcase blog. Thanks for a great class!