University Of Victoria

#4 Sharing Resources and Practicing “Open”

This week, the topic of OER-enabled pedagogy was introduced. I have never heard of this term until now. It is Open Educational Resource- enabled pedagogy which is teaching and learning practices regarding the 5R’s (Retain, reuse, revise, remix and redistribute).Wiley and Hilton (2018) introduce a test to determine OER-enabled pedagogy qualifications. The quick survey is a great way to discover whether ones work can be labelled as OER-enabled pedagogy. At first, the survey did not make sense to me. After re-reading parts of the article I was able to apply it to my own work.

I will use the recent Digital Equity & Perspective Pod project to answer the following questions from Wiley and Hilton’s (2018) OER-enabled pedagogy test.

1. Are  students  asked  to  create  new  artifacts  (essays, poems,  videos,  songs,  etc.)  or  revise  /  remix existing OER?

Yes, my learning pod was asked to create a persona character. We mixed character traits to create this new persona.

1. Does the new artifact have value beyond supporting the learning of its author?

Yes. There is valuable information for those in the teaching field. Our projected elaborated on open, diverse and face to face learning. This can guide future teachers on how they would like to teach.

1. Are students invited to publicly share their new artifacts or revised / remixed OER?

Yes. We were asked to share our project to our blogs which are public.

1. Are students invited to openly license their new artifacts or revised / remixed OER?

Yes. Our blogs are open to the public.

Our pod project is an example of OER-enabled pedagogy. We were able to use other resources to create the project. We used our own learnings from different topics to complete the project. After posting the project to an open blog, others can read and hopefully learn from our ideas and work.

I will re-do the test using a different class. In Indigenous studies 101, we were asked to create a solidarity project and write an essay about it.

Yes, we were asked to find outside resources to explore our own ideas. This was in an essay form.

No. The essay was not shown to anyone but the professor. I learnt a lot from this essay, but no one else will.

No. I was not asked to share to the public

No. I was not invited to share my findings to an open license site.

Thus, this is not an example of OER-enabled pedagogy. I learned for myself, but I did not teach anyone the information I learned. This test helped me understand what OER-enabled pedagogy means. It is the process of learning and teaching at the same time.

Wiley, D. & Hilton, J. (2018). Defining OER-enabled Pedagogy. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 19(4).

1. Hannah Rochford

Hi Rianne!

I really like how you answered the test for one of your previous classes. There has been so many classes that I have done where I do a project or write an essay and only the professor gets to see my work. I think it would be beneficial to hear other ideas as well. It furthers understanding and also builds connections with peers.

Great post!

Hannah

2. Kayla Krug

Hi Rianne,

Great post! It was interesting to see where our Pod Project fell within the four part test. Seeing that makes me want to think back on other projects I’ve done in the past and see is they pass the test to be considered a renewable assignment.

Kayla

3. emilytrelford

Hi Rianne!

Thanks for your comments this week. I agree that at first, the test didn’t make all that much sense to me, but then after reading and discovering that I could apply the test to a lot of the work I did, it was easy to understand. I also chose to use the test to examine this class and some previous ones! I like how you also used our pod project as an example, and how you identified that it was not an OER.

Thanks Rianne! 🙂

4. kianaarch

Rianne,
    I agree with you that the test really helped me understand what can be labeled as an OER enabled course. It help to clear up a grey area for me, and I like that it’s concise. I really enjoyed our pod project, as it felt more meaningful knowing that it is classified as an open resource.
    Thank you for your post,
    Kiana