University Of Victoria

#2 History and Content of Distributed and Open Learning

Before university, I had never taken any online classes. Therefore, I was uneducated within online learning. I always thought online learning was conducted through teacher’s via zoom or other platforms. However, there is are multiple different types and techniques within online learning. For example, the Covid-19 pandemic caused school to be delivered online. When this first happened, I thought all my classes would have the same online structure. However, all my classes were delivered differently. I realized there were difference the way the timing was delivered. In a synchronous course, there are scheduled meeting times (Major, 2015). Here, the teacher and students meet at the same time for the online class. The teacher would present the lesson live over zoom. Students can ask questions and discuss with other classmates. This provides “opportunity to participate in real-time class experiences” (Major, 2015, p. 82). On the other hand, asynchronous courses do not have scheduled meeting times. Here, class material is provided, and students can work at their own speed. Teachers often post pre-recorded lectures that students can watch at any time. This allows students to take their time and have longer to think about thoughts and understandings (Major, 2015).

The timing (synchronous/asynchronous) of the class were both beneficial to me. I enjoyed taking my time while completing pre-recorded lectures. I was also able to pause and rewind which helped me understand material better. Likewise, synchronous classes were beneficial as students were able to discuss with each other. This helped me understand material when I was able to explain my own thoughts and listen to others. Thus, a mix between synchronous and asynchronous is the ideal online learning method. If I ever have to teach online, I would use mix-blending timing for my class.

Moreover, I thought it was interesting how social media plays a role in online learning (Jordan & Weller, 2017). In my own experiences, I learn a lot from social media. Mainly social justice issues, which I can then learn more about. I often see posts or stories on social media of an important topic. Then, I look it up and do more research about the topic. This helps me stay relevant to world issues. 

1. Hannah Rochford

Hi Rianne,

I also had never experienced online classes before COVID hit. I was always nervous to take online classes rather than in person ones because I didn’t understand how they worked. Now, because we had to do everything online due to the pandemic I have experience in online classes, both synchronous and asynchronous. Personally, I like synchronous classes better as it motivates me more but I think asynchronous classes are also beneficial like you mentioned. It is nice because you get to make your own schedule especially if you are working. I definitely also would incorporate both if I was teaching University.

I also mentioned a little bit about social media in my blog post. I totally agree with you about social media helping us stay on top of and connected to current events!

Great post, I enjoyed reading it.
    -Hannah

2. emilytrelford

Hi Rianne!

I enjoyed reading your post this week, and had many of the same thoughts as you! Before COVID, I really didn’t know the difference between synchronous and asynchronous. I had always just attended classes in person, and there were no other factors involved. So it was pretty eye-opening when the world of online classes hit us like a brick!

I really like asynchronous courses for the summer, because it allows me to work at my own pace. However during the September-April sessions, I prefer synchronous because of the amount of courses I am taking – it helps me to stay on top of things and I don’t get lost or behind.

I also had the same thoughts about you, where you learn a lot from social media about social justice issues. I think this is my primary outlet for learning about current events, such as seeing people repost stories or reading headlines on any platform.

Thanks Rianne!
    Emily

3. Kayla Krug

Hi Rianne,

Thank you for your blog post, it was great to read.

In my experience, I have taken one online course prior to university, it was an asynchronous course that I completed in grade 10. This course took place 6 years ago, and looking back on it, even in the last 6 years there has been significant changes to online learning. I remember that this course was hard to follow, almost impossible to reach the teacher, and there was no collaborations with other students. Fast forward to today, all of those problems are solved.

Personally, I agree and I enjoy a mix of synchronous and asynchronous courses. The synchronous aspect is awesome because you get to chat with your professor and classmates in real time, and all of your questions are answered immediately. Asynchronous is also great, because sometimes people have a busy schedule and they are unable to meet at the same time every week. So these courses allow for a little more flexibility.

Thanks again for your post,
    Kayla

4. kianaarch

Rianne,

I totally agree with you when it comes to the blend of asynchronous and synchronous. I feel like having just having synchronous is difficult for myself especially with a full timetable as I need a lot of motivation to stay on top of everything- however the flexibility it provides is awesome. Vice versa for asynchronous- I like the structure.

I feel the same about social media in regards to my education- it has certainly helped me learn and I feel so lucky to have access to all the information online during my educational career.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Kiana

5. Ryan Banow

Hi Rianne,

Thanks for the post. You mention that you learn a lot from social media. Have you tried to use these platforms to enhance your university experience too? Which platforms do you or would you use to try to do that?

Ryan